Monday, November 9, 2009

Pear Cobbler


I'm one of those people who think that healthy food should taste GOOD.

I'm also one of those people who eats well, but am not a slave to my kitchen. Although I do like to cook, I don't always have the luxury of time to spend in the kitchen. And most people I know don't either. So, I have made it my mission to create healthy, delicious, and easy recipes to convince the average person that THEY can do this! They can be successful in eating healthier!

I have already written a cookbook on raw foods, but some of the recipes are rather complex and require alot of advance planning. But one thing I have noticed is that everyone who eats healthy food all the time keeps it simple and tends to use the recipes that are easy and quick to prepare. So I am writing a new cookbook that will be focused on quick and easy recipes that will teach anyone how to eat well. It is a book that teaches people how to change their diet to more healthy foods as well as providing tasty recipes. It is called, Vibrant Health: Simple Steps to Transform Your Health.

So, here is one of my favorite dessert recipes from my cookbook Recipes for Life: a raw food cookbook.

Pear Cobbler

Topping:
1 cup raw almonds, ground as fine as possible in a food processor
1 cup arrowroot powder
6 Tbsp. butter or coconut oil
1/4 cup unrefined sugar (such as Rapadura brand)
1/4 tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. vanilla extract

4-5 very ripe pears, 3-4 sliced very thinly and 1 chopped
1/2 cup raisins
1 Tbsp. cinnamon
1/2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp. sea salt

In a greased pie plate or other serving dish, place the sliced pears.

Place all of the topping ingredients in a food processor and mix until it just starts to clump together a bit. Don't overmix or it will become too moist. It should look crumbly, but will hold together if you squeeze it. Place it in a bowl.

Next place the chopped pear in the food processor with the raisins, cinnamon, lemon juice and the salt. Blend until smooth. Pour this sauce over the sliced pears and mix it in gently. Crumble the topping over the pear mixture and serve. It can also be warmed, but this is a raw dish and is not meant to be cooked.

Serves 4-6

Note: This recipe works well for other soft ripe fruit, such as peaches.

This post was linked to Simply Sugar and Gluten Free and the Healthy Home Economist blogs.

2 comments:

Tressa said...

This sounds so good! I bet it would also be good with a little ginger in it. I love pears and ginger together. One of my favorite desserts is a Pear Ginger Cake. :)

Becky Mauldin, N.D. said...

Yes, I have made it with some ginger added to the sauce that coats the pears and it is very good. One of my favorites too! :)